Search This Blog

Friday, January 29, 2010

1 Year Later

Well, it is hard to believe that we have been in Hawaii 1 year on February 2nd.  I have loved, hated, despised, and liked living in Hawaii.  It depends on the day and weather actually.  When we first got here, it was like we were on vacation.....going to the beach everyday, snorkeling, laying in the sun, exploring new areas and new things.  Even on vacation, you get tired of it and are ready to go home after awhile.  Well, we were home, but it felt like we were on permanent vacation.  Living here is like living in the movie, Groundhog Day.  Every day is the same, and I felt just like Bill Murray in the movie.  He loved it at first, hated it and wanted to do anything he could to make it stop, and then he started to love it again.  Although the summer was beautiful with flat surf, turquoise waters, and swimming with dolphins, the heat of the later summer months was horrible when we didn't have air conditioning in our house.  I also started to get island fever and needed to get off the island and away from the constant laid back lifestyle.  Living out on an island is such a huge change from living in Washington, D.C. area, and the people are COMPLETELY opposite and live completely different. Most of the people live like they are on vacation all the time too, and everyone is on "island time."  No one is in a hurry, no one cares if they are going under the speed limit, no one cares if there is a line that is 20 people deep and only 1 person at a register, no one cares if they are on time or finish on time, and no one cares if it puts you in a bind. We only get 1 radio station out here on the North Shore, so thank goodness for my Droid and IPOD!  About 75% of Haleiwa shuts down at dark, stores close, restaurants close, etc.  School gets out early here, and we had 20 days cut off the school year because the state cannot pay the teachers. 

I have learned to live with all of this and try and enjoy the moment.  Not many people can say that they had a chance to live in Hawaii and experience island life.  I know I am blessed and so thankful for this life experience.  I have amazing friends and family to experience this with.

No comments:

Post a Comment