After battling my weight for 12 years, I could not take it anymore. Having PCOS, doing multiple fertility treatments, and dealing with the loss of a child, the weight kept adding up. I tried every diet imaginable, but it never worked long term. I was tired of being the big girl, and I wanted to be healthy for my kids. I started my journey in late January, 2008, when I went to my primary care physician to speak to him about weight loss surgery. I was so blessed that he had been in a fellowship program for weight loss surgery, so he knew exactly what to do. I was referred to General Surgeon, LTC Scott Rehrig, at Walter Reed Medical Center. He is such an amazing Dr., and he completely saved me.
I decided to get the Lap Band because it seemed like the best solution for me at the time. I also had referrals to Nutrition and Psychiatry, and I had to start attending a weight loss support group. I completed all of my prerequisites in a very short time, and I received my surgery date of April 14th, 2008. I went in for surgery and waited and waited. I was supposed to be the 2nd surgery of the day, but the 1st surgery had some major complications and went much longer than anticipated. After waiting for over 9 hours, I was canceled. I was lucky enough to be rescheduled for Wednesday, April 16th. Surgery went off without a hitch, and I was in the hospital for only 24 hours. I started out with very few problems and was already back the gym 6 days after surgery.
After awhile, the band and I started to not get a long too well. Since the band is adjustable, I couldn't find my "sweet spot", and I was throwing up 15 to 20 times per day. I lost 70 lbs during that time, and it was fantastic but not healthy. I started having anxiety just thinking about eating, and this went on for about 6 months. In October 2008, Dr Rehrig started running some tests to see if my band placement was ok. He did a CAT scan and found that my band may have slipped a little, but that was not what worried him. During the CAT scan, a large grapefruit size tumor was found on my right ovary. I was immediately referred to Gyn/Oncology to have it taken out. On Halloween, 2008, I had my right ovary, right tube, and a grapefruit sized Teratoma removed.
My band still gave me so much trouble, that Dr. Rehrig and I decided to revise me to the Vertical Gastric Sleeve. I wish I would have done this surgery in the first place! It was a little harder recovery, but well worth it. I have now lost 105 lbs and loving life. It amazes me how much my life has changed throughout this journey. I cannot wait to finish it up with reconstructive surgery in just 3 short weeks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment