Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I want to bottle this smell!

I was sitting in my living room watching Glee (I LOVE THIS SHOW), and the wind brought in the most fragrant, sweetest, and amazing smell that just enveloped in to the room.  I have noticed it before, but it only appears at night.  So of course, I went on the hunt, outside, in the dark, with camera in hand, in my PJ's, to find this mesmerizing smell!  Here is what I found at the end of our hedge....





Then, I had to come in and turn to Mr. Google for more answers.  Here is what I found.

ORANGE JASMINE

Overview:

Filling the air with a sweet smell like orange blossoms, orange jasmine is a welcome addition to any garden. The year-round white flowers are very attractive to bees, and the fruits are favored by birds.

Latin Name:

Murraya paniculata

Common Names:

Orange jasmine, orange jessamine, chalcas

Preferred USDA Hardiness Zones:

Zones 9-11

Size & Shape of Orange Jasmine:

Grows 8-12' tall and is a round shrub.

Exposure:

Plant orange jasmine in full sun or light shade.

Foliage/ Flowers/Fruit of Orange Jasmine:

The leaves are up to 2.75" long, oval, and a glossy green.
The flowers are very fragrant and smell like orange blossoms. Flowering will occur year-round.
The fruit is .5-1" long and red. It is prized by birds.

Orange Jasmine Design Tips:

Good for attracting bees and birds to the garden.
Orange jasmine can be trained into a small tree.
It can be used as a hedge, which will require pruning often when young since it grows rapidly.

Orange Jasmine Growing Tips:

Plant in well-drained soil. Make sure it is free of nematodes.
Propagation is through seeds and cuttings.

Maintenance/Pruning:

The orange jasmine grows very quickly while young and may need several prunings to keep its shape.

Pests & Diseases:

Pests:
  • soil nematodes
  • scales
  • sooty mold
  • whiteflies
Usually has no problems with diseases.



Now, if only Google can figure out how to make smells to come out of the computer........

  
                                    

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment