Search This Blog

Saturday, September 19, 2009

This is not part of my diet!

The donuts in Hawaii taste awful and are expensive like everything else here!  Well, at least we haven't found any that we would buy again, yet.  Only place you will find  Krispy Kreme Donuts are from some locals selling them in the fundraiser boxes on the side of the road.  We always wonder how old they are since we see them day after day peddling donuts, and we have never seen anyone buy them.  So, I had to improvise and come up with something for the kids that was easy and cheap.  I thought I would share this SUPER EASY and really fast recipe for you to enjoy.





INGREDIENTS

  • 4 cups vegetable oil
  • 1 (7.5 ounce) package refrigerated buttermilk biscuits, separated
  • 3/4 cup seedless strawberry jam or any seedless jam you would like
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar

DIRECTIONS

  1. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375 degrees F. Fry biscuits, a few at a time, for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
  2. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry bag or plastic bag; insert a very small tip. I use a cake decorator tip to fill bag with jam. Push the tip through the side of each doughnut to fill with jam. Dust with confectioners' sugar while warm. Serve immediately. 
  3. If you do not want to have jelly filled donuts, you can also make the plain version. Just use a soda plastic bottle cap to cut a hole in the middle of the biscuit and then fry.  Dust with sugar, cinnamon, or make an icing for them.  It is also great to fry the holes left over, and you have Munchkins like at Dunkin Donuts!


The kids loved them and had so much fun helping make them!  I loved seeing the powdered sugar covered faces smiling afterward.  Jack and Ava both told me that I was the best donut maker ever!  Gotta love the simple things in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment